Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Could our intensely vivid world restrict creativity?

I was reading a damn good book this morning, when I was engaged in my morning ablutions, and I suddenly realised I was running late. I was lost in a world of magic and adventure for 30 minutes and it felt like 5.

I then realised that this never happened when I was reading my favourite comics, Tintin or Asterix and Obelix. I never did get lost in the comic world because the imagery was all laid out for me and nothing much was left to my imagination.

What if in our world, where imagery and videos and YouTube greet us at every turn, we are losing the ability to imagine and dream? My children do not need to construct 3D worlds in their heads because everything is laid out for them. They don't need to lose themselves in their laptops, but must instead stay focused on the pictures and videos that are going by. What do they lose in the process? What do they gain?

Could it be that Creativity is becoming such a huge issue, simply because we are building a world that negates the need for our children to be creative - everything is precisely laid out for them? There is no need for them to turn inward and make order out of the chaos that is the usual resting state of our brains. They are constantly turning outwards and looking at directions and instructions that are laid out for them.

Is there a train of logic here? Can you reflect and build in your head, the scenario I have just mapped out and picture the results - a child of today waiting to receive pictures and imagery, rather than building them in his head? Is there a logical link between this vivid world and the destruction of a creative mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment